Saturday, August 27, 2011

Bull Snakes Everywhere


This is going to be short. Just wanted to share with you my favorite animal in North Dakota. (Be sure and click on the picture to really see the size). In fact I love them so much, Roger made Kyle swear to not tell me they saw some Bull Snakes while Kyle was here in June helping Roger move in. They are nearly five feet long, just in case you can't tell in the picture. In about a 5 mile radius we saw three bull snakes that had been run over. Lets just say, hiking through the Dakota plains with knee high grass does not tempt nor thrill me right now. That kind of adventure I can live without.

Also, the other day I stepped out on our front porch. I jumped as nearly 100 small black crickets were jumping to avoid my step down. A few did not move fast enough unfortunately. I had not seen this phenomenem before. Pretty Gross! I later found out that this is not a usual happening here in Ft Yates. I was told that legend is that it is a sign we are going to have a really bad winter. Great! The lawn, the house, the sidewalk are all covered with these sweet little critters. Maybe the bull snakes will eat them?

Where are the seagulls when you need them? Actually there are seagulls in North Dakota. North and South Dakota were once covered by an ancient ocean. So there are seagulls all around the area. Not as big as the ones around the great Salt Lake, or at the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment