Wednesday, August 24, 2011

South Dakota - McLaughlin

Roger splits time between two dental clinics, one in Fort Yates, North Dakota, and the other one in McLaughlin, South Dakota. They are in the process of hiring another dentist for McLaughlin, South Dakota. He called me to bring his special magnifying glasses to him at the McLaughlin clinic which is 30 miles away from Ft.Yates. As long as I was there, I thought I would travel another 30 miles to a town called Mobridge, South Dakota.

North and South Dakota, besides the Indian population was homesteaded by Russian, German, and Norwegian Immigrants. While I was in Mobridge, I picked up a local "Centennial" cookbook. It has been fun to browse through the recipes. I thought I would share one of the German Russian Dishes found in the recipe book.

Fleich Kuechle

Dough:

4 C. Flour
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
4 tsp. shortening
1 2/3 cup milk

Mix together flour, salt, and baking powder; cut in shortening with fork or patstry blender until it looks like coarse corn meal. Add milk and mix in to make a soft, but not sticky, dough.

Filling:

1 1/2 lb. hamburger
2 tsp. sat
2/3 c. water
chopped onion and pepper to taste

Brown hamburger and onion in water; stir in salt. Roll half of dough to 1/8 in. thickness. Cut into 6 inch squares. Spread meat thinly over 1/2 of each square; fold over and pinch edges to seal. Drop dough into deep hot fat and fry slowly until nicely browned. Makes about 20 meat pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment