Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Morning after....


So this is it..."Home Sweet Home"

Reality is a rude awakening. I woke up this morning to view my new living quarters and prepare for the movers to show up with my furniture and boxes. Eight in the morning comes really early after traveling for three days.
The trip here was eventful. I left St.George at 4:30 pm on Friday July 22, 2011 in a full 16 ft U-haul truck, towing my car behind. I arrived later than planned not realizing how long it would take me going up the hill passes from St. George to Provo in a U-haul pulling a carat 40 miles an hour. I met up with Lauren,(my newly married daughter) and we dropped off a refrigerator and some boxes to store for Kyle for college in Highland, Utah at my sisters home. We then traveled across town to my cousin Mary's home in Saratoga Springs, Utah. May she be "blessed for life" for allowing us to have the wedding reception in her backyard for Lauren and Joe)We picked up the residual wedding decorations to take to storage in Rexburg, Idaho. At 2:30 am we left Saratoga Springs and were on the road to Rexburg, arriving at 5:30 am.

We arrived at Jessica and Damon's home in Rexburg, Idaho and went directly to bed. At 9:30 am we woke up to a wonderful breakfast and a trip to the storage unit to deposit the wedding decorations and other miscellaneous items. I then ventured off by myself again at 4:30 pm to head to Billings, Montana in order to meet up with Roger. Roger caught a bus from Bismarck, North Dakota to meet me and help with the drive to our new home in North Dakota.

The five hour drive from Rexburg, Idaho to Billings Montana took 7 hours instead, due to the load I was carrying and pulling. I must say Yellowstone Park looks great from the view of a U-haul truck! (By the way, Bozeman, Montana is a hidden gem...it is a very beautiful valley) Thank heavens, for Roger...I would have never made it the next day alone. By Sunday morning, my all night drive to Rexburg, plus two weeks of intense packing had caught up with me.

Roger and I stayed overnight in Billings, Montana and left by 10:30 am. We traveled for four hours and heard the strangest sound coming from underneath the truck somewhere in the middle of Montana. We stopped to discover that we had a tire that was in the process of shredding. We called U-haul and three hours later someone showed up to change our tire. On the road again...and our final arrival in Ft. Yates, North Dakota at 1:00 am.



Having movers show up at 8:00 am was not my idea, but they were prompt. Unloaded the truck and left me a little bewildered as I gingerly made my way around boxes inside of my 1400 square ft. rental. The walls instantly became increasingly tighter. I had sworn I was not going to unpack a box for two weeks or even a month after arriving here. But alas, if I was going to survive, boxes had to be opened and stuff put away(now I view most of it as Junk).

All I have to say to the hoarders of the world....throw away as you live life day to day. Nothing is worth saving for the eventuality of using it down the road. So much for the adage to "wear things out"....if things are no longer useful to you and they are in good condition still...donate them for some other person to find pleasure and use. Pat yourself on the back, and tell yourself that you are a generous good person, and free yourself of the clutter!

No comments:

Post a Comment